Work in Lithuania

Students from EU or EFTA do not need a visa to enter the Republic of Lithuania. They can come and stay in Lithuania for 3 months and after that at the local Migration Department they must apply for the Certificate signifying their right to reside in Lithuania. For EU citizens, the process of employment in Lithuania is quite simple, they do not need any additional document.

For Non-EU students usually a National Visa (D-type) is compulsory for entrance to the Republic of Lithuania. Students from countries which citizens do not need visa for entrance can arrive freely, but after the arrival they must apply for National Visa (D-type) at the local Migration Department.

Students with National D-type visas can reside in Lithuania for up to 12 months. If the period of stay in Lithuania is longer, all international students will be required to apply for a Temporary Residence Permit.

Non-EU students willing to work during their studies in Lithuania must obtain a Temporary Residence Permit and then can work up to 20 hours per week during their studies. No additional work permits are required. Phd students can work full-time.

After graduation, non-EU students can apply for a Temporary Residence Permit for 12 additional months for a job search and self-employment purposes. During these 12 additional months no additional work permit is required from the recent graduates.

Later, if employment in Lithuania continues, graduate should timely apply to renew his/her Temporary Residence Permit on the grounds of Employment contract and obtain a work permit from the territorial Employment Services office. In order to obtain a Work Permit either an Employer or a graduate himself can apply.

More information related to legal stay in Lithuania, social guarantees, health care, work and employment is provided in the Migration information centre (MIC) “I Choose Lithuania”. Here you also can get a consultation in Lithuanian, English or German languages, and they are free of charge.