Internship is the opportunity to adapt your theoretical knowledge and improve professional and general competences. Experience gained during internships will help to clarify what you want to do (work) and how to find a desired job.
You may gain experience which is needed or your future professional activities (for a specific job) by doing studies or (and) voluntary internships. Both of these internships may be done wither in Lithuania or abroad. For more information about different types of internships and its organisation, please read below.
Professional internship (internship of studies) – is part of studies, which help students to get a closer look at the specifics of the work in a particular field and an opportunity to obtain practical skills in a real social environment. This experience also serves as an encouragement for the students to further deepen theoretical framework at the university and do their best to improve professionally. Internships are obligatory for all students of first cycle and integrated studies. The extent of an internship depends on a study programme and may vary from 15 to 30 ECTS credits. Internship can be carried out all at once or may be devided to 2-4 parts (introductory practice, qualification practice, pre-diploma practice, expedition (field) practice) according to the study programme specificity. For more information about your internships and practices you may visit: http://www.vdu.lt/en/all-studies-bachelor-studies/
Practice coordinator and practice supervisor are responsible for the organisation of study practice in each study programme. If you are looking for more information about who is your practice coordinator or supervisor, please look for it in your faculty or department.
Practice coordinator develops practice organisation plans, prepares agreements with enterprices, institutions and organisations, provides method material and monitors practice process and presentation of practice documentation.
Practice supervisor at the university prepares methodological requirements and tasks for the practice, consults students on practice performance and on all to practice reports related issues.
Practice supervisor in the practice institution observe and assess student’s practical activities, consult the student and provides necessary support in the practice institution, makes proposals for a practice supervisor in the University for the improvement of the practice.
The legal basis for the implementation of student practice in a specific institution, enterprise or organisation is a Trilateral Practice Agreement between the University, the student and the practice institution. The Agreement should determine the duration and period of practice, rights and liabilities, responsibilities and practice supervisors – University’s and enterprices rights and liabilities.
Study practices may be done eithet in Lithuania or abroad (Erasmus+, bilateral exchange, etc.). For more information about the practice aborad please visit the section of this page “Internship Abroad”.
Additional internship is not a part of studies. Students may undertake this type of internship if they feel that study practice (internship) was not enough and want to gain additional knowledge and skills related to their study programme. It can be completed on their free time, when no classes are scheduled.
- Additional internship must be related to student’s study programme.
- The term of additional internship agreement cannot be shorter than 2 months; student can do internship up to 20 hours per week during studies and up to 40 hours per week during holidays.
- Students find a place for additional internship themselves. It should be discussed and approved by Practice coordinator in student’s academic department.
- Tripartite agreement on practical training must be made between student, university and company/ institution/organisation where internship will be undertaken.
- After completing the additional internship, a report must be prepared and evaluated by Practice coordinator.
Information about additional internship will be indicated in the appendix of the diploma.
Voluntary internship is another possibility you can choose if your studies’ internship was insufficient or it was unforeseen in your study programme.
All working-age persons until the age of 29 has a right to do a voluntary internship in the chosen enterprice, institution, organisation or other organisational structure by mutual agreement. Person does not get any salary through the internship however he or she gets health insurance and Insurance against accidents and occupational disease and if the person is registered in labour office, then all legal rights and guarantees are maintained.
- Voluntary internship can be done by working-age person until the age of 29.
- The term of voluntary internship agreement cannot be longer than 2 months.
- Person can do the voluntary internship on the same time under no more than one voluntary internship agreement. The agreement of voluntary internship can be signed with the same enterprice only once.
- The term of voluntary internship agreement which was signed by the person who is doing voluntary practice or the generic term of voluntary internship cannot be longer than 2 months in a calendar year.
- Person can award a voluntary internship agreement for no more than three times and the generic term of voluntary internship cannot be longer than 6 months.
- Voluntary internship is unpaid.
- The number of voluntarys internship agreements in the enterprice cannot exceed 10 percent of all job (recruitment) places in the enterprice. Agreement for voluntary internship cannot be signed with legal person, who in last 12 months has terminated employment contract with more than one tenth of its employees.
Do you know that you can not only study abroad, but also do your internship? You may find more information about it below. Do not hesitate and choose one of these programmes! The international experience often favoured in job applications for the prospective employers.
“Erasmus+” traineeships for students
Erasmus+ student traineeship is a period of time spent working in a company or organization in one of EU countries or Macedonia (former Yugoslav Republic), Lichtenstein, Turkey, Norway and Iceland. Erasmus traineeship provides the student with possibilities to adapt to the labor market demands of the entire EU, improve professional skills, familiarize with and deepen understanding of a specific country’s economy, social system and culture. Every student who is selected receives the Erasmus Scholarship of 500-700 EUR per month.
More information: http://www.vdu.lt/en/studies/internships/erasmus-traineeships/
“Erasmus+” traineeships for recent graduates
“Erasmus+” traineeships for recent graduates is a recent opportunity for graduates of VMU to participate in a traineeship and gives a greater exposure to the global industry and provides an invaluable international experience. In no later than one year after the graduation recent graduates may spend 2-4 months abroad in any public or private organisation active in the labour market in one of EU countries or Turkeym Island, Norway, Lichtenstein and Macedonia. For recent graduate traineeship application must be submitted during the last year of studies. Every student who is selected receives the Erasmus Scholarship of 500-700 EUR per month.
More information: http://www.vdu.lt/en/studies/internships/erasmus-traineeships/
Partners 4 value
Partners 4 value – is the first University-Business Consortium in Lithuania established between the Lithuanian Confederation of Industrialists (LPK) and the leading Lithuanian universities (Vilnius University, Vilnius Gediminas Technical University, Kaunas University of Technology, Vytautas Magnus University and Klaipeda University). This initiative expands “real life” training opportunities for students worldwide in well-known organisations, for instance, The United Nations (UN), The North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO), etc.
More information about these and other international internships options is provided by the International Office:
Address: V. Putvinskio str. 23 (207-214), 44243 Kaunas